Based on the edge of the city, between Burley and Leeds city centre, The Edge is a great place to call home. Close to the main universities, with excellent transport links into the city and plenty of things to do, The Edge is one of the most popular areas for students in Leeds.
Find out all about the area, including where to shop, eat and drink, in our handy guide below.
The closest university campuses
Leeds has five universities, so which ones are the closest to Iconinc The Edge?
- University of Leeds – Just half a mile away and a 10-minute walk. The School of Law, Mathematics and Geography are all just a ten-minute walk away too. The Business School (1 mile) and School of Mechanical Engineering (0.8 miles) are a little further afield and will take around 20 minutes to walk to.
- Leeds Beckett University – Just 0.8 miles away, taking 15 minutes by foot. The Headingley campus is 2 miles away, so if you are studying there you may need to take a bus. The 19 bus only takes 25 minutes and runs frequently to the campus every day.
- Leeds Arts University –Under a mile away, it’ll take just 20 minutes to walk here.
- The University of Law – Just less than a mile away and a 20-minute walk.
Whether you’ve run out of the essentials, are in desperate need of a full weekly shop or just need to grab a snack for that all-nighter, there are plenty of supermarkets near The Edge for all your supplies. And don’t forget, there’s a pantry filled with drinks, sandwiches and snacks at The Edge too if you need some quick bits in a hurry.
- Tesco Express, Burley Road – Just a 5-minute walk away, Tesco Express is set to become your new local for all your essentials.
- Abu Bakar, Hyde Park – Only 12 minutes’ walk away, Abu Bakar is an international supermarket that stocks plenty of ingredients and foods from all over the world, so you can feel more at home in your new city.
- Aldi, Evanston Avenue – Aldi is a great place for students to shop, with super low prices and great deals. It is a mile away from Iconinc The Edge and will take around 20 minutes to walk there, so you might need to take a taxi or bus. The Flying Tiger 757 runs every day and will get you there in under 15 minutes.
- Asda, Kirkstall – If you do need a full weekly shop, then Asda Kirkstall will be your best bet. Again, it might be a little far to walk (1.2 miles), so take the 49 bus reach it in 15 minutes.
Check out our guide to international supermarkets in Leeds, here.
Leeds City Centre is less than a mile away from The Edge and will take you just under 20-minutes on foot. You’re super close to all the hustle and bustle of the city, but if you need to go further afield or you simply don’t fancy walking into the city, there’s plenty of reliable transport links nearby. And remember, if you’d rather take a taxi somewhere, our concierge at The Edge is always on hand to call one for you.
There’s plenty of buses around the area too. The nearest bus stop is Burley Street St Andrews Street – just a 2-minute walk away - and from here you can catch the 19, 49 or 50 buses that take you all across the city.
Leeds Railway station – You can walk to the train station in 20 minutes or take the 19 bus instead.
Burley Park Railway Station – If you’d prefer to catch a train from Burley Park station, it takes 15 minutes and has frequent trains into the city centre.
Leeds City Bus Station – Want to head further afield than the city centre? Take a bus! It’ll take you just under half an hour to walk to the coach station.
At The Edge, you’re really close to the city centre and Burley too, so there’s plenty of places for you to eat out. Take a look at our top picks:
- Manjaro’s – Serving African and Caribbean cuisine, Manjaro’s is an incredibly popular restaurant in Burley. Find it at 2 Burley Road, and don’t leave without trying the famous Manjaros Sauce!
- My Thai, Old Steps – If it’s a pad thai or a green curry you’re after, you’ll struggle to find better Thai cuisine than My Thai. With a few locations around Leeds, the Old Steps location is just a 14-minute walk away.
- Haftsin Restaurant – Offering Iranian/Persian cuisine, Haftsin is the place to go if you’re ever in the mood for a delicious kebab.
- Iberica – For a more special occasion, Iberica has you covered. It serves tasty Spanish food in a beautiful setting.
Places to drink
- The Faversham – A favourite with students, head to The Faversham for drinks anytime of day.
- Veritas – Famous for its extensive list of quality wines, head to Veritas when you fancy a glass of the good stuff.
- The Fenton – Another popular student haunt, The Fenton has plenty of events and gigs year-round.
- The Dry Dock – One of the most unique watering holes in Leeds, The Dry Dock is literally a pub in a docked boat! It’s unbeatable for drinks in the sun.
- A Nation of Shopkeepers – With a beer garden and live music, A Nation of Shopkeepers is a hip hangout to while away a weekend afternoon.
- LS6 Café – Café by day and bar by night, this a student staple in Leeds. There’s regular jazz nights to enjoy too!
Things to do
The Edge is located right next to some of the best attractions in the city, so you’ll never be short of something to do on your days off.
The Climbing Lab is one of the best climbing facilities in the whole of Leeds and is a huge open plan centre filled with climbing walls fit for all abilities! It’s super fun and something different to do with friends.
The Light is just 20-minutes away, with a cinema, crazy golf course, escape room and a number of popular restaurants. Earmark this place for future date nights.
Belgrave Music Hall & Canteen is just 5-minutes further and is one of the top venues in the city. There’s live music on every week, a huge rooftop garden, and their pizza is Leeds-famous - and served all night long too! If it’s a cool bar you want, then Belgrave is the place for you.
If you’re looking to soak up some of the local culture, at The Edge you’re within walking distance of some of Leeds’s biggest attractions. Leeds Art Gallery is one of the best in the city, and The Henry Moore Institute is one of the largest sculpture galleries in Europe – both are just 15-minutes away.
Now you know all about The Edge and the surrounding area, why not take a look at everything inside? You can choose from a range of luxury apartments, with all the equipment and facilities you need to make a cosy and comfortable home away from home.